Friday, July 24, 2009

‘Single’ Minded - Madhushree

‘Single’ Minded

Rajiv Vijayakar

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 1255 hrs IST

She’s coming up with a single aimed at making the youth awareness of crucial national issues on the occasion of Independence Day. Madhushree, who enjoys a special rapport with A.R.Rahman, discusses both... and more


The idea for a ‘single’ album arose from Madhushree’s disllusionment with the response to her last labum Laagi Lagan, which “had eight good thumris”. “My album has a great response even internationally because of the modern arrangements. Six other beautiful songs went unnoticed because we made videos of only two tracks! So I thought there was no point in my composer husband Robby Badal and I working hard on eight songs if finally only the videos mattered.”

The album, slated for a release on August 15, is Madhushree’s mission to make today’s youth awaken to the serious problems our nation is facing, including global warming, water depletion, terrorism et al. “Padma Bhushan Sardar Anjum has written very stirring verse and the music is by my husband Robby again,” says Madhushree. “When I made Sukhwinderji listen to the song, he insisted that he would sing it with me. And as we know, he is superb at such songs!”

The singer who began with Rajesh Roshan’s Moksha in 2001 is singing in What’s Your Rashee? and some more films for young new composers and also for A.R.Rahman, with whom she’s been a special favourite - the composer even ensured that Laagi Lagan was formally released at his recording studio. “After Jai ho, Rahman is spending so much time abroad and we singers are missing him badly!” she says. “I came from a classical background, but it was only after singing for him in Saathiya, Yuva, Kisna and other films that I learnt how to be a proper playback singer, learning expressions and other aspects. He brought finesse to my singing.”

The singer adds that recording for Rahman is all about a “ghar jaisa” ambience. “I spend four to seven days with him only on absorbing and rehearsing the song. He is a very jovial and genuine human being.”
But Madhushree admits that the fun has otherwise gone out of film music. “Music waisa nahin raha jaise hota tha,” she says thoughtfully. “Yeh trend hai, theek hai, this will also change,” she adds confidently. “Also, I think that people like Lataji and Ashaji were very lucky because they could concentrate only on singing. Today a singer has to look presentable, go to the gym and do all those things besides looking at the musical aspect!” But she admits that being on television on different shows have been fruitful experiences.

Finally, is it easier or tougher singing for her husband? “I am more comfortable working for others!” she laughs. “My husband is more finicky and we argue a lot. But there is a plus side too - he makes songs to my scale!”

http://www.screenindia.com/news/single-minded/493104/

No comments: