Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Madhushree's Interview - Many Unknown Facts Revealed Here

Hi guys... its quite an old interview, but i think it has many many news about her which we all dun know... so im posting it here.... Enjoy reading.... :)

Interview : I am comfortable with both melody and fast numbers- Madhusree

Madhushree aka Sujata Bhattacharya is a familiar voice in A.R Rehman's musical outings. This classically trained artist hails from a musically inclined family. Even though she is a recent entrant in to play back singing she has worked with most of the well known music composers and singers. An ardent fan of Praveen Sultana she has some of the hit songs to her credit. In a one to one chit chat this talented singer shares her life with her fans.

We are all confused about your name . What is your real name?

I am Sujata Bhattacharya. But I took the name Madhusree for astrological reasons. But my father was unhappy with it . So I changed my name back to Sujata. I have sung songs for Kuch Na Kaho, Kal Ho Na Ho and Aetbaar in this name. But later Rehman suggested me to go back to my other name as there are lot of Sujata's in the music world. So now I am Madhusree. This name proved lucky for me as I got my first hit with this name,the song from Yuva 'Kabhie Naram naram'.

How did you come to music?

In my family all sing, though none of us before me took to music professionally. It was my family’s wish that I make a career in music. After being born in a family like mine you take to music as a duckling takes to water. I wanted to be a classical singer so I joined the Rabindra Bharathi University.I have completed my masters in flying colors. I gave my first stage performance at the age of five.

Tell us something about your family?

My husband Robby Badal is an engineer by profession. But he has a great musical sense. We met each other in Surinam. He was my student. He was the man behind my first musical album.

Who is your role model in calssical music?

I am an ardent fan of Parveen Sultana. I started listening to her from the age of 10. Unlike other classical singers Parveen Sultana gives importance to both her looks and music.

Tell us something about your life after the college?

I am a gold medalist in music. So I got a job at the Indian Council of Cultural Relations in Surinam. Our governmet sent me there to teach classical music. Most of my students were from U.P and Bihar. They came to me to learn Hindi film music. So rather than teaching Classical music I ended up giving out lessons on Semi-classical music. During my four year stay in Surinam I had the opportunity to learn Latino music. My next destination was Holland. I was in holland for a year.

How did your entry into bollywood happened?

I came to India on a vacation. Unfortunately I lost my passport and had to extent my stay in India. Bored with sitting at home i started doing shows. There I came across famous play back singer Kumar Shanu. As it would take some time to get my duplicate passport Kumar Shanu adviced me to try my luck in Bollywood. Before my entry in to Bollywood I had done an album with Zee music called 'Le Ja Mera Sandes'.

How was your Bollywood experience?

I had a great time in Bollywood. My first song was with Rajesh Roshan for the movie 'Moksha'.I sang the song ‘Mohabbat zindagi'. The movie was stalled for five years but after my recording the movie took off. So everybody considers me lucky.

You are one of the popular voice in Rehman's musical composition. How did you both came together?

After spending some days in the industry I felt that people are more concerned about my image than my singing. I wanted someone who showed interest in my voice.I had heard of A.R Rehman and I wanted to meet him. Radio artist Mr.Brij Bhushan who had close connection with Rehman introduced me to him.

How did the first meeting go?

I met him at a city studio where he was doing the mixing for 'Lagan' songs. He asked me to sing the Alkaji's part of the song. He was impressed with my work. My first song with Rehman is the thumri from 'Saathiya'.

Tell me something about your recent works?

I have just finished a song for A. R. Rehamn's 'Guru'.It is a very interesting song. Then there is Karthik Raja’s Mukhbir and an item number in Viju Shah’s 'Yun Hota To Kya Hota...What If?'.I have also worked with Bappi Lahiri and Anoop Jalota.The latest in the list is Himesh Reshammiyya's 'Vaah! Life Ho Toh Aisi!', Ram Sampath’s 'Family' and Rahman’s 'Rang De Basanti'.

After all this movies how do you rate yourself?

I am still fighting it out in the Bollywood music world. I am yet to work with some of the famous names in Bollywood music like Anu Malik, Nadeem-Shravan, Jatin-Lalit or Vishal-Shekhar. My classical background is acting against me. Most of them think that my voice will suit only the classical based song.But I am very comfortable with both the classical and western type of songs. Down south music directors like Harris Jairaj, Vidyasagar and M.M.Kreem have given me both melodious and fast numbers.

How do you view the present Bollywood musical scenario?

Everyone feel that nowadays only western music sells. But there are a great demand for the Indian kind of music. Look at the popular songs of today. Most of them have Indian base. Even A.R Rehman is coming back to his roots.

Is your classical training a boon or bane?

As I said earlier it is both boon and bane. If you know classical music it is good for your career in playback singing. But both these version are quite different. Classical music is about improvisation. But play back singing is more about emotions and situation. Your success depends on how fast you grasp the difference.

Do you regret your decision to join play back singing?

Not really. But sometimes when I watch others perform classical I feel very sad.

© Copyright 2008 by MusicIndiaOnLine.com

No comments: