Thursday, August 7, 2008

Supporting role - Family ties - The Telegraph Calcutta

Supporting role
Family ties

| Saturday, January 29, 2005 |


Singer Madhushree?s husband Robby has been behind her every step of the way in her journey to realise her dreams

Madhushree Bhattacharya has music in her genes. She came from a musical family and started learning the basics at a very young age under the guidance of her father, Amarendra Bhattacharya. After doing an MA in Indian classical music, she packed her bags and travelled to the other end of the world. In Surinam, South America, she began teaching at the Indian Council of Cultural Relations.

But after three years of teaching NRIs, she returned to India, determined to try her luck in Bollywood. Her big break came in Ahmed Khan?s Lakeer and since then, her careergraph has risen steadily. She was nominated in the best singer category for the song Kabhi Neem Neem Kabhi Shahad... from Yuva for the Star Screen Awards. She also has an interesting line-up of films to look forward to this year. While much-awaited blockbusters like Kisna and The Rising are on the cards, other films where she?s lent her voice include Aarti, Kasak, Life Ho To Aisa and Seesha.

Madhushree met her husband Robby Badal while teaching music in Surinam. The romance continued and her decision to settle in Mumbai prompted Robby to give up his job and move with her. Robby, who?s a civil engineer, was born and brought up in South America. He too loves music and is presently supporting Madhushree in her dream to conquer Bollywood.

Madhushree on Robby

After completing my Masters in classical music from Calcutta, I got an offer to work at the Indian Council of Cultural Relations at Surinam, where my job as a teacher involved promoting awareness about Indian music and culture. It was there that I met Robby when he joined my class to learn classical Indian music.

He was a sincere student, maybe even too sincere. He always stayed back after the class and offered to help me. Since I was new to the country, he?d often offer me a ride home, help out with my shopping ? just simple friendly gestures to make me feel comfortable in his home country. Since the centre conducted a lot of cultural events, we landed up spending a lot of time together. And over a host of concerts, programmes, musical events and recordings, we became close.

Soon enough, Robby and I built up a great rapport and I started depending on him more and more. Over the three years that I was posted there, we fell in love and decided to spend our lives with each other. However, life had other plans as I shifted to Holland and then to Mumbai. It was in 1998, when I shifted to Mumbai that we decided to get married. Robby left his job and other business to support me in my dream of making it big in Bollywood.

My husband has been my biggest support. There was immense pressure from my parents when it came to my choice of career but Robby stuck by me. Mine is not a profession that is always looked upon favourably or even easy to accomplish. But it was my dream and Robby supported me wholeheartedly. He could have easily refused to leave his job and family business but yet, he stood by me. Now that I have come so far, all I have to thank is my husband?s undying support ? both emotionally and spiritually.

This is a field that can sap your spirit. The demands are many and expectations high so, for the same reason the person standing by you must be level-headed and strong. Robby is essentially a very down-to-earth person but if necessary can be aloof and curt. I think that?s essential as well. One needs to be tough and it is this quality of his that helps me cope with the ups and downs of life.

Robby on Madhushree

The very first time I saw Madhushree was when I entered the class at ICCR. There she was, dressed in a salwar-kameez with oil in hair. She was sitting at the edge of the seat, waiting for her students. When she started taking the class, we realised she had absolutely no experience. I liked her innocence and openness and that?s what attracted me.

Since we both share a love for music, we got along very well. When she moved to Mumbai to try her luck in Bollywood, we decided to get married. It?s a tough life here and I wanted to be by her side. It is our belief and understanding that keeps us together. We have immense trust in each other and are totally open about the relationship.

Madhushree is very grounded and simple, which is what I love about her. She keeps telling me that we mustn?t become snobbish and forget our roots. She?s the one person I can count on for a reality check whenever I need one.

The decision to leave everything and come to Mumbai was a difficult one. At the time, it seemed the right thing to do but now in retrospect, I feel scared that I made such a decision. After selling everything there, setting up home wasn?t easy. We spent a lot of our savings and money but now things are settled. Anyway, it was worth it as Madhushree?s dream of singing in Bollywood has come true, which was the reason we did everything. I am very proud of her and hope she continues to do bigger and better films.

AS TOLD TO SANGHAMITRA BHOWMIK

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1050129/asp/weekend/story_4283784.asp

No comments: